Friday, February 27, 2009

Be prepared, they are quick!

So last Friday lunchtime I sent off four query letters to agents. Being used to the film and tv world I expected the sound of silence for weeks if not months. Imagine my surprise when all four responded within hours asking for the first 10k.

It is indeed a strange land!

Two of them asked for a detailed synopsis as well. Which of course I hadn't done. Luckily having whipped up treatments at short notice in the past I wasn't much fazed by this but for someone who maybe isn't used to it then maybe forewarned is forearmed.

You can see from the above I am a dummy at this and of course everyone else already has a detailed synopsis already written.

So with packages duly emailed back to them on Monday I sat back to wait in the expectation it would be some time before I heard anything.

On Thursday I got a request from one of them for the full manuscript. Now, as I've said, I'm a dummy at this game but that speed of reply is something that I know all you TV veterans out there think only survives in a world of chocolate lampposts and candy cotton clouds.

But it's true I tells ya. Just like in Waterworld, that fabled dry land does exist.

Okay it may just mean I get to hear my rejections quicker, but hey. The point is I guess, that if I had gone by normal TV timetables for reading material, I would have been tempted to have sent
out the first 10k while I still had another 20k to write, thinking I'd be finished by the time anyone got back to me.

Far as I can see that is a definite no-no. If an agent gets back to you in a timely and professional manner I figure the last thing he wants to hear is 'I haven't finished it yet'.

19 comments:

wcdixon said...

Frak! I'm still reeling for you...that's crazy fast compared to our usual world.

Jaded and Cynical said...

It's good to have you back.

Fingers crossed for the book.

If you feel like sharing, what genre is it? My money's on some sort of sci-fi eroticism.

It'll be cool to see how things pan out.

Eleanor said...

Way-hey! He's here again!

Best of luck with the MS.

boshi said...

EFX’s holographic technology contains algorithms and frequencies that interact positively with this energy field in both humans and animals at the cellular level. When placed near the body, especially at key energy centers such as the hands and feet, EFX bracelet’s products will harmonize with the body’s naturally occurring bioelectric frequencies. bakugan toys
Power Balance

power balance said...

I personally believe as does my friend Todd that these power balance hologram and magnetic bracelets are scams that supposedly offer the user energy.Holograms Review/test shows improved balance. Rosetta Stone teaches you a new language naturally, by getting you to think, live and breathe the language.

bạn park said...

Meanwhile, German officials secretly hinted to Soviet diplomats for months that it could offer better terms for a political agreement than Britain and France.[42] The Soviet Union began discussions with Nazi Germany regarding the establishment of an economic agreement while concurrently negotiating with those of the tripartite groupsolar heatingexhibition design company

christian louboutin uk store sale said...

know what I should do, I am so selfish a person. In addition to my makeup, in addition to idle away in seeking pleasure, apart from the cost, in addition to men, what can I do, my parents even what is shame didn't teach me. I can Christian louboutin outletteach my child what ah --" she nervously automatic speaking, eyes empty darkness, forgetting that I was there." Sister, sister " -- a distant Zheng music full of vitality

ux de tous, Christian Louboutin s'est montré particulièrement décontracté avec celle qui a pour habitude de dévaliser ses boutiques à chacun de ses passages.Mais n'allez pas croire que le prestigieux chausseur se comporte ainsi avec toutes ses clientes... Pas du tout ! Vu hier en compagnie de Zahia lors d'une soirée célébrant une nouvelle fois sa marque et ses créations, le chausseur des

ero opined that because in the fashion industry Christian Louboutin Hot Redcolor serves ornamental and aesthetic purposes, which are vital to competition, it is unlikely that Louboutin will be able to prove that its red outsole is entitled to trademark protection.It seems unlikely Louboutin will prevail on appeal, so long as no error in the application of law is found. The court will likely cancel Louboutin's broad registra

nger, and the removal of any link to Serta products that would come up after an Internet search for "Cassini mattresses."Serta argued in its court filings that, given the widespread use of its "Perfect Day"Christian Louboutin Women's Boots trademark, there is "simply no evidence" that consumers would have confused the Cassini mattress with the designer, or his clothing and perfume lines.It asked the court to declare that it didn'

red sole shoes said...

I found what I wanted christian louboutin shoesin no time at all. Pretty awesome. Would appreciatered sole shoes it if you add forums or something, it would be a perfectchristian louboutin heels way for your clients to interact. Great job

termpaperforme review said...

Please do keep up the quality writing.

term-paper-writer review said...

my congratulations!

yellow john said...

I havetory burch sale been reading out a tory burch flats salefew of your articles and i tory burch 2012must say clever stuff. I will definitely tory burch handbagsbookmark your site.

yellow john said...

I havetory burch sale been reading out a tory burch flats salefew of your articles and i tory burch 2012must say clever stuff. I will definitely tory burch handbagsbookmark your site.

http://www.customessays.co.uk/ said...

You are already naked.

http://grandresume.com/ said...

So keep posting.

buy essays said...

very good post! need to say you did a great job and i really appreciate it!

help with essays said...

Read this article. It is useful for you

essaybase said...

Amazing post! Thanks a lot for sharing.

yellow john said...

awesome blog. i christian louboutin shoesenjoyed reading your articles. this is truly a christian louboutin outletgreat read for me. i have bookmarked it christian louboutin heelsand i am looking forward to reading new christian louboutin discountarticles. keep up the good work

DEWHURST TOULSON said...

Imagine my surprise when all four responded within hours asking for the first 10k.
topic