Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Sale Of Two Titties

So I got some interesting feedback on a spec project today from someone I've never heard of at a company I have heard of. The gist of it was they liked the basic idea but could I make it more post watershed and sex it up. Get some T&A in there.

Now, AT A PINCH, JUST MAYBE, I might force myself to include nubile naked lovelies bonking their brains out. In fact you'd have a hard job stopping me.

But in this particular case I'm not inclined to do so. Firstly, they ain't paying me. That's not necessarily a big objection. If I wholeheartedly agree with the note. In this case I don't. I think it limits the potential audience and makes it less attractive to networks on what is already a reasonably big budget proposition.

Secondly, I don't like having different versions of the same project out there. And that's what I'd end up with. Especially when you are dealing with smaller companies.

The big boys can afford to take a punt on something. Option and develop to some extent and then take it to the networks. But some of the minnows well, they can't afford to take a punt on an outside chance, so a lunch here, a call there, and they get a sniff of whether the networks are maybe interested or not. I'm not saying they all do that, and of course they shouldn't, but in the real world it happens. And if they pitch the show they want rather than the one you want and they say no, you are dead in the water.

So do I want to take that chance in this case? Like I said, I don't know the guy. Never heard of him personally. Therefore he's still out to make a name for himself. Therefore I suspect he's not adverse to bending a few rules.

Paranoia? Maybe. Doing him a complete disservice? Probably. But my writer/business instincts tell me that isn't the way to go on this project.
So thank you, but I'll pass!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

d probably learn the difference between "adverse" and "averse".

Anonymous said...

Soon as I get home from work
I’ll pay your rent
Your faithful lover
Soon as I get home, soon as I get home from work
Girl, I’ll treat you right
And I’ll never lie
For all that it’s worth
steroidshow to smoke salvia